Tuesday, March 27, 2012


15 days til surgery!  I seriously can't believe that it is so soon.  I'm excited to get everything over with already!

I had my pre-op appointment today with two residents and my oral surgeon.  They were great! "A-team" lol.  We did all of the typical stuff- pictures, x-rays, measurements, facebow, and impressions (not so fun with all those surgical hooks for the alginate to get stuck in).  The residents did everything and answered all of my questions.

these were some of my most important questions:
diet?: anything you can get through a blender and in your mouth
splint?: yes, 2 weeks at least.
medications?: liquid
how long banded shut?: 2 weeks at least, up to 6 wks.

The oral surgeon came in after, did a few measurements for herself and discussed the cephalometric analysis with the residents to come up with a tentative plan about movements they will do in the surgery.  It was kind of funny because we (3rd year students) just had our final oral surgery exam yesterday which had questions from her lectures on craniofacial deformities on it!  lol, talk about the educated patient!  I already new that I will definitely require double jaw surgery because if they were to just move my lower jaw back I would not have enough space left for my airway.  They have a tentative plan of how much to move each jaw but need to confirm it after they do the mock surgery on the models.

They said they'd probably want to have another appointment closer to the surgery (which is only 2 weeks away!!!!!!) to confirm everything after they do the model surgery.  One of the other things my Mom was concerned about was what she needs to do while she's taking care of me in terms of when to give meds, what signs to watch out for, etc. My oral surgeon was so nice, she said we can just set up another quick appointment with the her for when my Mom is in town right beforehand so she can meet the oral surgeon and ask herself.

The rest of the day wasn't so fun.  I had a meeting with anesthesia to have blood drawn and meet with the nurse about anesthesia stuff.  Then I had to go donate blood to myself :(.  I've volunteer donated blood many times in the past and this was not one of the best times.  ouchy.  Let's just leave it at that.

Anyhooo, that's all in the past now.  I have my last appointment with my orthodontist on Thursday.


  1. Hey Laura! It sounds like everything is moving along very quickly!! So exciting! :D Surgery will be here before you know it. Make sure you eat anything and everything you can in the next few weeks, it is hard afterwards to smell all the good food that everyone can chew except you. lol Good luck!

  2. Almost there!! You must be getting excited! I don't know if you know this trick, but when I had my molds done at my pre-op last week (I didn't have the hooks yet, so it was easier), they pressed a strip of braces wax across my brackets and the molds came right off and didn't get stuck at all! I was so impressed...hahah!

  3. I have been following along! Here's wishing that all is well and successful this week. I look forward to reading about the post-op feelings, and results. I am not sure when my surgery will be, but it is in the future. I am still waiting on an impacted canine to erupt through the gum. Grr! Frustrating.

    Chin up and keep smiling! It will be worth it! :)